Friday, February 19, 2016

My journey to date

My Keto journey began in the Fall of 2015; I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I figured I needed to do something about it but I was determined not to go the ADA route. My dad is in dialysis 3 days a week thanks to insulin and I refuse to end up like that. I had done Paleo diet after having my son and had lost 70 pounds and a year later had gained back over half the weight back. I was not keeping track of macros and actually I had never even heard of macros during my Paleo times. I think Paleo was a great stepping stone but it's just way too loose for anyone with a metabolic syndrome. If you aren't paying attention to carbs, protein or fat it's impossible to control blood sugars.

In November 2015 I found a Facebook group called Reversing Diabetes; it was the first time I understood the advantages of a Ketogenic diet. I did really well on straight up Keto but I still had a difficult time controlling my Fasting Blood Sugar. There were some murmurs of Intermittent Fasting  but Reversing Diabetes doesn't promote IF so I ventured out. I found a few really junk groups and then I finally found one that met my needs. I started IF and fairly quickly my FBS dropped below 100 but this group didn't really support Keto diet; so I ended up creating my own group that combined the two. In doing so I have found even more groups and resources. So here we are; tomorrow I start a 21 day fast. I'm hoping this fast will kick start a decent weight loss. I've lost 30-40 pounds since fall but I have had a difficult time staying in Keto. The IF is easy for me; I don't even have to think about it, it's so natural for me. I suspect this commitment to the 21 day fast will propel me to stay in Keto after the fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment